Betterphoto

30 Day Free Basic Membership Trial

Saturday, January 1, 2011

5K Challenge

Here it is New Year's Day 2011.  I have never been big on making New Year's resolutions, but this year I have one and I would like for you to join me.

In April, I will be participating in my very first 5k.  Fortunately for me it is a walk/run 5k, so I will be walking it.  This is a special 5k and I need to give you some of the background on it.

On Christmas Eve morning I received a call from my mom with news that still is sinking in.  My cousin, Robin Rockett Bowen, was hit while out during her morning run with the running group she ran with.  Robin was killed instantly and another runner was severely injured.  The driver was later charged with a DWI and from what I understand that was not her first.  Read the newspaper article here.

Robin and I are the same age and we grew up together going to school and playing ball together.  Like I said, it is still hard to believe she is not here any more. 

Robin was an avid runner.  She had ran in numerous race of all distances.  The running group that she ran with is working on organizing a 5k in her honor in April.  I will be walking it with Robin's sister Kathy.

So, I am now training to be prepared for the 5k to honor my dear cousin.  It is a great way to show our love for her and to get back in shape.

I would love for all of you to join me on this journey.  If you can join me for the actual 5k, AWESOME!  If not then train with me, either in person (would love to have some walking buddies) or train where you are and keep me informed.  Of course I would love to receive some encouragement with your comments here.

I'll be posting on a regular basis here on my progress and my thoughts.  So, please keep checking back and don't forget those words of encouragement.

Maybe at the 2012 5k for Robin I can run it.  Robin, we love and miss you.

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but remember to keep it clean. Any post with offensive language will be deleted.