Betterphoto

30 Day Free Basic Membership Trial

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sprint misses call with Paige Duke


Paige & Sarah at the Charlotte race.
When I saw online that Sprint had released Paige Duke as a Miss Sprint Cup over some unfavorable images I was sadden.  My daughter met Paige at a recent race at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and she left a positive impression on Sarah.  Every NASCAR race on TV after that she would look for Paige in Victory Lane.

As soon as I read the then short note posted on facebook about Paige being let go by Sprint, I went and talked with Sarah about how decisions can some times have negative consequences not only now but in the future. 

Since then I have learned more about what happened.  I have not seen these pictures, nor do I have any desire to see them.  I have thought long and hard on this and need to share my feelings.

The pictures were from when Paige was in college 6 years ago and were intended only for her then boyfriend.  They were never to be seen by anyone else.

Let’s look at the facts:
-          The pictures were taken 6 years ago, well before Paige was employed by Sprint.
-          They were not taken for a magazine or the general public to see.  They were for someone she was in a relationship with.
-          The pictures or taking of the pictures is not illegal.  Although posting them online without Paige’s permission is WRONG and very disrespectful.   

I do have to wonder if there is a double standard in the NASCAR world.  Most recently driver Kyle Busch was stopped for driving over 100 mph and really nothing was done to him.  Last time I checked, driving that much over the speed limit is breaking the law.  Not picking on Kyle, he handled his situation very well too.   But he is just the most recent example.

I understand there was a morality clause in the contract between Paige and Sprint.  And I will be the first to say I do not condone those types of pictures.  As a professional photographer, I will not create them for my clients – personal beliefs.

But we have all made mistakes.  It is how you respond and deal with those mistakes that truly matter.  And I must say; Paige has handled this situation gracefully. 

Sarah and I listened in on a radio interview with Paige and I am so glad Sarah was with me to hear it.  Paige is stepping up and admitting her mistake and is using this as an opportunity to educate young girls like Sarah about how they do not need to do things such as nude pictures for a guy to keep their attention and the consequences that may come from something like that years later.

This is where Sprint missed the call.  Paige is taking a bad situation and turning it into a positive one.  She is using it to hopefully keep some other young girl from doing the same mistake she did or go through what she has gone through.

Paige was doing an awesome job representing Sprint as Miss Sprint Cup.  Sprint could have taken this opportunity to step up and through the bad situation with Paige become a leader in helping educate young girls to think more about the decisions they make. Paige is doing a great job speaking on that now, but Sprint has missed the call.

Guess what?  My cell phone contract is up.  I won’t be looking at Sprint to become my provider.  I might have if they were being active on helping young girls like my daughter.

Shortly, after Paige was let go we received back the picture of her and Sarah we sent to her with a really nice note and autographed.  We are in the process of framing it and it will be hung in Sarah’s room.  Because of how Paige treated Sarah at the race and mostly how she has handled this unfortunate situation, our view of Paige has not been tarnished.

If Paige is ever in the Hickory area, I would love to have her come speak to our youth group at church and Sarah’s friends from school.  She is being a great role model for them to look up too and listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, but remember to keep it clean. Any post with offensive language will be deleted.